Thursday, July 23, 2009

Remembering Katie Bossler

This was an extremely difficult story to write. I'm a little bit upset with the editors, because I think they tried to beef up my story but they made an error and added redundancy, in my opinion. I guess I'm touchy about this story, in particular, because I wanted it to be perfect. It's so horrifying.

Because it was a story of remembrance, I didn't add in some interesting parts. The mother said in the interview that she hopes the public gets angry because he's out of jail and the bail was very low ($20,000 for drunk driving and killing a teenager). She said he didn't even know he hit anyone, just thought he hit a car. This other woman I interviewed, the North Carroll teacher, said her husband died when a 17-year-old ran the double yellow line on a curve, while texting, and struck her husband. She said with vehicular crimes like these, people essentially only receive a slap on the wrist. After killing someone. How crazy.

How many people have to die before we learn not to drink and drive or text and drive?

Read my story:
http://www.carrollcountytimes.com/articles/2009/07/23/news/local_news/2_teen_killed.txt

No comments:

Post a Comment